Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My Faith

All of my life I've lived around people of various faiths and denominations and even people who don't consider themselves religious. And guess what? I'm okay with that and I'm glad I was brought up around it. I have so many friends who are of various religious backgrounds and I'm grateful for what they bring to the table each time we're together. People have been posting blogs and facebook statuses like crazy about how Latter-Day Saints are Christians and that we believe in Jesus Christ as our Savior. Yes, Yes, I do agree with you I am a Latter-Day Saint. But, I don't think that putting that as my status will somehow make people believe I am Christian.
The real well to tell if someone is a Christian or not regardless of his religion is to see how he acts. How does he treat other people? With kindess and respect? With hate and disdain? Does he bully? Does he criticize or does he uplift? Does he do random acts of kindness or fall into greed? Of course, there are many people in the world who do not associate themselves with any religion but may have these qualities as well. I believe that is because we were all born into this world with The Light of Christ. We were born with the ability to choose how we behave in certain situations and how we act toward and react to people. Do I think you have to be a religious person to have Christ-like qualities, not necessarily.
I am following the trend of saying, "I am a Christian" but in a different way.
I will bear you my solemn testimony that I know that God lives I know that Jesus Christ is indeed His Only Begotten Son. I know that "by him and through Him the worlds were created". I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior. That He suffered pain, grief, and death for me and for you. I know that He has made it possible for us to return home to the "God that gave us life". I have felt the healing power of the Atonement and I can witness to you that I have personally experienced forgiveness and the joy that comes after being forgiven. This is a testimony to me that He lives. I know that Jesus Christ is who He said He was. I know that He was born in a manger in Bethlehem those so many years ago as a child and I am grateful for His birth. I know more than anything in the world that God hears and answers our prayers. We are His children and He knows us by name. He knows everything we are going through and has a specific plan for us if we are prayerful and quiet enough to listen to the whisperings of the Spirit. I know that God has not left us alone no matter how many natural diasters, diseases, and governmental issues may come upon this land. He is with us every step of the way and has His hand in your life more than you even know. If I could tell you the blessings that God has given me in my life it would be a continous scroll. I know that Jesus Christ lives and I love Him.
In the end, you can believe what you want to believe I am not the type to shove anything in your face. I can correct your misconceptions but when it comes to the point of argument I will drop it. There is no use in arguing truth. I can say that if you persecute me for my religion, if I am not afforded the same opportunities in life as you because I am discriminated against, that is fine. I know that I am on the Lord's side. The question is, where are you?

0 comments: