Tuesday, August 2, 2011

It's not that Hard

I think this sums up a lot of the feelings I've had this week.
I've forgotten what the purpose of life is. I've forgotten how much joy there is in this life.

It's hard being a human. We have trials and difficulties that we go through. We are disappointed, discouraged, and frustrated. At times we may want to turn back and resort to the bickering and negative attitudes that are found all over the world today. We don't have enough money, our jobs are boring, our family is having issues, and our friends are disappointing us. For the past week I've focused on every possible thing that is going wrong. A roommate does something irritating, a guy turns out to be the jerk that I predicted he would be, my motivation for school has decreased. It's not fun to look at the negative side of things and I am 100% certain that our Heavenly Father did not intend for us to see life this way.

Every day I walk to school. I walk the same path, at the same time, and at the same speed. Nothing new seems to be on the path. But if I open up my eyes I see all kinds of new things. The beginning of a new week of EFY where youth are beginning to see how they really do have their own testimonies. I believe this program was inspired by God. It is amazing and gives me so much hope in the youth of the Church. I can listen for animals that roam the skies and land. I can smell the flowers that bloom in the summer and hear the bees that are busy at work. It takes time to notice these things. It takes a recognition of our Heavenly Father to want to notice these things.

Life is so simple. I know-- how can I say it's simple when so many things happen that are complicated? I guess I say this because I know that with God all things are possible. I know now more than ever that Heavenly Father is real. I know that He is indeed my Father in Heaven. I know that He knows me by name and He knows everything that I am capable of doing and becoming. Whenever I have a hard time in school and I need help before a test I pray to my Heavenly Father and I ask that He will help me to understand the information that I am learning. When I have no money to get through the next week I pray that somehow I will be blessed. I have faith that my Heavenly Father is really there listening. To say that God does not exist would be a lie. I know that He is there and His Son Jesus Christ lives. Maybe I don't take the time necessary to express my thanks for my life and the wonderful things that I have been given.

I attend a wonderful University, I was blessed with parents who love me, I was born into this Church, I have many talents and gifts that I want to use to bless the lives of others. I fail to remember these things sometimes because I live life like I'm walking down the same path every day. But life is never the same path. If I remember why I am on this Earth, what my responsibility and mission is, life would be so much easier. Remembering every day that my life has a purpose and I'm trying to achieve a goal makes every day a little better. So I will try to be better, not perfect, better in understanding where people are coming from, showing patience with different personalities, treating myself with self-respect and uplifting thoughts.

If I live with this song in mind, knowing that what I am doing is nothing compared to what Christ did during His life, my life would be so much better.

"To Think About Jesus"

It shouldn’t be hard to sit very still
And think about Jesus, his cross on the hill,
And all that he suffered and did for me;
It shouldn’t be hard to sit quietly.
It shouldn’t be hard, even though I am small,
To think about Jesus, not hard at all.

“To Think about Jesus,” Children’s Songbook of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 71

0 comments: