Wednesday, February 1, 2012

What I want to Change

I was reading an article in the Ensign tonight that was about how social networking sites and digital technologies impact our lives.


I often express my opinion that I think technology makes society lazy. We want to push a button to start the car instead of manually putting the key in the door. We want to write e-mails instead of hand writing thoughtful cards. We want to pre-order food and have it delivered... sometimes I think technology makes life a little too relaxed.

I am the type that would rather turn the pages of a book than flick the screen. I like writing in my journal more than typing this blog. It's more human to me. I believe God has given us hands, eyes, ears, feet, legs, and all other appendages so we could work. Yes, there is time to relax and use digital technology, I watch Netflix quite often. But it's the reasons behind why we use the technology that matter.

I use Facebook as an escape from homework, a way to spy on other people, a way to look at people's pictures, interact with friends, etc. I use my cell phone to check e-mails and send text messages. I hate it when I am talking to someone and they ignore what I'm saying because they are texting. I don't like talking to my phone more than I do to people.

I'm not a predictor of the future, but what if there is no internet one day? What if e-mails don't matter and what really matters are the people around you and the skills that you have? You have to communicate to build a shelter, or to start a fire. No app will start a fire for you. That is why I'm not reliant on technology. I understand that if something major in the world happened I would need to be able to use my knowledge to survive.

I realized while I was reading this article that I don't want my kids to grow up addicted to technology. There are so many more things in the world they can do. Play outside, build a fort, climb a tree, chase butterflies, plant a seed, read a good book, sing songs, play board games. What really matters in life is the relationships that we form. How we show our love to people and how we show that we love the Lord. But I can't expect my kids to moderate their technology usage if I can't moderate mine. So I want to learn how to only use the internet when needed, to watch television only when needed and not to use the technologies as means of escape. Instead, I'll read a book or look at a song, or study. I've got to make it a habit and a way of life for myself first before I can expect anyone to follow me.

0 comments: